Any homeowner who fails to winterize their sprinkler system will be met with major problems, including expanding and cracking pipes. And this is possible if ANY amount of water is left in the system. But luckily for you, it is easy for any do-it-yourselfer to winterize those pesky pipes.
All you need is:
• Air Compressor
• Crescent Wrench
• Schreader valve
How to winterize your sprinkler system: step by step instructions
1. Turn off the water to the system
2. Close the flow handle on the back flow valve by turning the handle at the end of the valve (on the water flow side)
3. open the petcocks located on the side of the valve. These are usually a small common screw. make sure you only turn the screw about a half turn to the left.
4. Next there should be a plug in the line on the downward stream side of the valve, you will need to remove the plug and insert a schraeder valve into the cavity.
5. With the schraeder valve in place you can connect the air compressor to the valve and the pressure from the air being applied should spray the water from the valve out the pit cocks that you have opened.
6. When the water stops and just air is all that is escaping you can stop the air and close the petcocks.
7. Once the petcocks are closed you can move on to the sprinkler zones
8. With the location of the anti-siphon valves, open one manual valve on your sprinkler system and once the zone is open attach the air again and watch until all of the water stops spraying out of the sprinklers on that zone.
9. Repeat this process for the remaining zones until all are cleared remembering to close each zone manually after you have completed it.
10. Now open the petcocks once more and clear out the back flow valve one final time.
Of course, if you would rather leave everything up to the professionals, hiring a lawn care specialist is a great solution and will ensure that your sprinkler system is properly winterized and ready for the drop in temperature.
If you have any questions, contact TLC Incorporated by calling 888-742-5852 or click here today!
For more than 20 years, TLC, Inc has specialized in the planning, installation and maintenance of high-quality commercial and residential Lawn Sprinklers and Irrigation Systems, Lawn Lighting, Outdoor Lighting, Holiday Lighting, as well as Lighting for outdoor features including pools, hot tubs, spas, decks and walkways.
A dedicated team of lighting and irrigation specialists for the Mid-Atlantic Region
Why Winterize Your Sprinkler System ArticleBase.com
How to Winterize Your Irrigation System TheDIYHomePro.com